‘Don’t worry, be happy
In every life we have some trouble
But when you worry you make it double
Don’t worry, be happy
Don’t worry, be happy now’ – Bobby McFerrin
Hello all and welcome to my weekly journal. A place where I am thrilled to share with you five points of interest. This week, a wonderful storytelling festival for the whole family, movies, music and more…
1. The Yorkshire Festival of Story, YFOS — continues until November 28th. All the events are free and donations are happily accepted.
There are still some children’s events that you can register for. Spots go fast so make sure you register early.
2. I love the creativity of Lin Manuel Miranda (Hamilton), his directorial debut with Tick Tick Boom is scheduled to premiere on Netflix this Friday, Nov. 19th. I hope I get to see it. I’ll be sure to let you all know what I think of it.
Speaking of creativity, we lost a most creative talent. Musician Dave Frishberg March 23, 1933 – November 17, 2021 – Rest in Power Maestro.
3. My musical tastes have continued to be delightfully entertained with Sheku Kanneh-Mason and his sister Isata as they perform in duet on their new recording Muse which has gone to number 1 on many classical music listings.
4. My reading pleasure this week, ‘Espresso Tales‘ which has gone back to author Alexander McCall Smith and his series 44 Scotland Street. The series takes place in McCall Smith’s hometown, Edinburgh, Scotland.
I visited a used book store close to my Sanctuary, ‘Read It Again – New & Used Books‘ and I discovered a treasure trove of well-loved books. I picked up a few…
5. I just found out that my Bobby McFerrin performance scheduled for December 18th at Koerner Hall has been postponed. The reason: The maestro is not well, a postponement due to illness.
Yikes, in my experience that is not a good thing. I’ve had tickets to many concerts that were postponed; Count Basie big band the concert went ahead but the Maestro did not show up due to illness.
A Ravi Shankar concert with accompaniment by his daughter Anoushka was cancelled due to an illness by Ravi. There have been others as well. Aretha Franklin, that was rescheduled but never happened. Natalie Cole too, another cancelled concert due to illness.
I think that this cancellation is different; Bobby McFerrin is busy performing gigs closer to home and he’s sharing positivity with all those lucky folk in Berkley, California.
This week, November 16th, I celebrated International Flamenco Day. I watched about 3 hours of sublime flamenco culture and tradition.
Thank you for reading. If you think someone you know would enjoy my newsletter please share it with them. If you are looking for a great children’s book check out my new book, Samba in Brazil; Paperback version, on sale for a limited time. And the Portuguese version, Samba no Brasil, now available as a set.
Or one of my other books, Samba on a Snowy Day or the Brazilian/ Portuguese version Samba em um Dia de Neve.
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong and keep going.
Copyright © 2021 Paul Yanuziello, All rights reserved.