“- If you fail, never give up because F.A.I.L. means “First Attempt In Learning”
– End is not the end, in fact, E.N.D. means “Effort Never Dies”
– If you get No as an answer, remember N.O. means “Next Opportunity”. So Let’s be positive. “Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam (15 October 1931 – 27 July 2015)
Hello all and welcome to my weekly journal. This is where I share with you five points of interest. Things that got to me, helped motivate me, offered inspiration or produced some pleasure for the senses.
1. My ear candy this week, the music of Barry Harris who passed away on December 8th from complications due to covid at the age of 91.
I feel fortunate to have met the maestro on a few occasions and to have interviewed him on his amazing life in jazz.
I was not aware that he had written lyrics to any of his compositions, this was one that I found recently, entitled “The Bird of Red and Gold“:
Within the confines of one’s soul
There sits a bird of red and gold.
Its wings at all times set to fly,
For if it does not, it will die.
If set free, it will soar to
Heights unknown to other men,
Lands unseen by other eyes;
And as the beauty of the universe
Unfolds, what joy the pleasure then
Of truth revealed, limitations
This is the Almighty’s gift to you. Barry Harris (12,15,1929 – 12,08,2021)
I also spent time with musicians who celebrated birthdays this week, Grover Washington Jr. His birthday is December 12th and the Flamenco guitar virtuoso Carlos Montoya is December 13th.
2. On the topic of music I have put together my list of the best music of 2021. Well, at least some of my favourites, a diverse mix from classical through to the blues. This is in no particular order, type in any of these names in your browser and you can hear samples of the music that they perform.
- Muse by Sheku & Isata Kanneh-Mason
- MakJBach by Mak Grgic
- Time Traveler by Nnenna Freelon
- City Country City by Ricci/Krown
- Time No Changes by Chris Schlarb & Chad Taylor
- Chick Corea Akoustic Band with Corea/Patitucci/Weckl
- Dear Love by Jazzmeia Horn
- Apothecary Songwrights Lab by Esperanza Spalding
3. While I was working on this newsletter I listened to a Sounds True podcast with Jeffrey Davis – Tracking Wonder. Check it out to find out if it resonates with you as well.
4. The quote for my introduction to this weeks newsletter is from Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam. He was the former president of India, serving in that position from 2002 – 2007. I am currently reading one of his many books, a book all about positivity, ‘You Are Born To Blossom’ a kindle .99 special at the moment.
5. I have a new children’s book promo coming soon, for “Samba in Brazil” it will be happening in early January. In the meantime, if you are looking for some great children’s books, free for a limited time, then have a look at this fantastic promotion. ‘Exciting Reads For Children.’
Thank you for reading. If you think someone you know would enjoy my newsletter please share it with them. If you are looking for a great children’s book check out my new book, Samba in Brazil; Paperback version, on sale for a limited time. And the Portuguese version, Samba no Brasil, now available as a set.
Or one of my other books, Samba on a Snowy Day or the Brazilian/ Portuguese version Samba em um Dia de Neve.
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong and keep going.
Copyright © 2021 Paul Yanuziello, All rights reserved.