“There is no way to peace, peace is the way.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Hello and welcome one and all. Happy Diwali to you. Yes, this week I join in the celebrations of Diwali, also known as the festival of lights.
1. Diwali is part of a five-day celebration that honors Lakshmi, the goddess of prosperity.
Celebrants light lamps, set off fireworks and gather with friends and family to exchange gifts and enjoy holiday meals together, honoring community and a new year.
2. Uncovering and rereading old poetry books “The Heart Has Its Seasons” this book from the 70’s features photographs by award-winning photographer Larry Fink.
There are some great poems and plenty of prose. I spent time in Autumn: The Heart in Autumn; freedom and choice, decision and judgement, commitment and faithfulness, hope and promise, vision and adventure.
3. This week I went back into the dojo, the training hall in Toronto that I am a member of. I went with an old friend and we spent two hours training Japanese sword and short staff – Jodo.
It was wonderful to connect with another person, to discuss the martial arts, world affairs and the weather. We were training in the park at the start of the Pandemic. This week it would have been a challenge, the temperature dropping to below zero and a little snow flurry as well.
The featured photo is of the early morning snow flurry — that did not seem to bother the gaggle of geese enjoying the Beaver River.
4. This week I watched a documentary about surfing, Take Every Wave: The Life of Laird Hamilton.
I love the look of surfing. This documentary has some of the most amazing looking waves I have ever seen.
5. My ear candy for the week was the music of the great Brazilian classical pianist Nelson Freire who died October 31st, aged 77.
RIP Maestro. There is a documentary on the life and times of Nelson Freire but I have not been able to find it playing on any of my viewing platforms. I found some great concert music, wonderful performances by Maestro Freire.
Thank you for reading. If you think someone you know would enjoy my newsletter please share it with them.
If you are looking for a great children’s book check out my new book, Samba in Brazil; Paperback version, on sale for a limited time. And the Portuguese version, Samba no Brasil, is also available on Amazon.
Or order one of my other books, Samba on a Snowy Day or the Brazilian/ Portuguese version Samba em um Dia de Neve.
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong and keep going.
Copyright © 2021 Paul Yanuziello, All rights reserved.